|“||Mommy, I don't feel too good.||”|
Xzar and his companion Montaron are Zhentarim sent to the Sword Coast to investigate the causes of the recent Iron Crisis. As the plot evolves, it becomes clear that someone's trying to frame the Zhentarim for the events occurring around the city of Baldur's Gate and Nashkel. Since the Zhentarim are not particularly benevolent and have a fearsome reputation, the duo prefers to work undercover, pretending to be mere adventurers.
Xzar has to pair with Montaron.
- Xzar and Montaron (This quest needs to be completed with in time limit or they leave)
- Niemain in Sorcerous Sundries
- Ajantis Ilvastarr will eventually attack any of the evil party members, but you can call him off by controlling him to do something else.
- Deeply disappointed by Dynaheir's lack of cackling and other proper witchy behavior.
- Montaron will eventually provoke Khalid into a fight, If that happens, Jaheira will join Khalid to fight Montaron and Xzar to death.
- Despite traveling with Montaron, he shows little respect for him to the extent of being indifferent in case of the latter's death. If Montaron is killed off, Xzar has an imaginary conversation with him and concludes that he's much more agreeable when dead and that he should've murdered Montaron long ago.
- Believes Shar-Teel to be wisest of the group, and names her as his disciple. Despite her threats.
Xzar's high intelligence, dexterity and wisdom scores mean he can be dual classed into either a thief or a cleric using either the Manual of Quickness of Action or Tome of Understanding, respectively.
- In, companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will be given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to manually level them up to gain more control of their status.This icon indicates content from all Enhanced Editions of the Baldur's Gate games.
|Average party level||Level||XP||Gold||Hit Points||Weapon Proficiencies||Equipment||spells abilities|
|1.00 - 1.99||1||58||3||4 (Max possible:4)||
|2.00 - 2.99||2||2539||11||6 (Max possible:8)|
|3.00 - 4.99||4||10186||31||8 (Max possible:16)|
|5.00+||6||41302||52||12 (Max possible:24)||
|“|| When asked about his past, XZAR has very few coherent things to say. His desire to determine the cause of the iron shortage seems benevolent enough, but his motives remain unclear. His ramblings seem disjointed, but his faculties are obviously in good enough order for him to be adept at magic.|
He mutters something about how he and his associate Montaron are in the employ of a powerful group, but when pressed for details he gets extremely agitated and does not speak for some time. He is obviously at least partially insane, and the network that would hire him must be dark indeed.
|Montaron, you are so AGGRAVATING! 'Tis disturbing to my demeanor!||Initial meeting|
|Waaaa! Mommy, I'm a scared!||Morale failure|
|I'm starting to find this group almost... palatable.||Happy|
|Must we be so insufferably charitable?!||Unhappy-annoyed|
|I'll not tolerate any more of this benevolence!||Unhappy-serious|
|I can take this no longer. May you all die cold, miserable deaths! Farewell!||Unhappy-break|
|Ah, a wise choice for leader.||Leader|
|I tire! I'll be MUCH MORE AGREEABLE with rest!||Tired|
|Much as I enjoy these moments of repose, GET A MOVE ON IT!||Bored|
|I am become death, destroyer of worlds!||Battlecry1|
|Mommy, I don't feel too good.||Hurt|
|The trees move. Do you not see it?!||Forest|
|A cutthroat in every alley, but I'll not let them take us alive!||City|
|I'm never quite so comfortable as when I'm at least six feet under.||Dungeon|
|I've never liked the sunlight. 'Tis just too bright.||Day|
|I wanted infravision like the elves, but 'tis more than just taking their eyes.||Night|
|Something troubling you?||Select1|
|Your voice is ambrosia.||Select2|
|Stop touching me!||Select3|
|If I must!||Action1|
|I could do no other.||Action2|
|Hardly worth my time!||Action3|
|Ahh, tell me 'bout the rabbits.||Action4|
|Those the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad! Mad! Mahahahahahaa!||Action5|
|I ate his liver with a nice Chianti and some fava beans.||Action6|
|Ah, I—I—I'll teach yer grandmotha to suck eggs!||Action7|
|Tell us a story, Monty. Something with bears and gold.||Interaction1|
|Har HAR there, Montaron! Quite the fight, eh, chum?||
|Oh, come on, Montaron, lighten up. Must you be so moody all the time?||
|Why must you goad us into other people's concerns? Can you not just let us mind our own enterprise?||
|I begin to see your true nature, and 'tis as I expected. None are as insufferably righteous as Harpers!||
|Could we cease the incessant noise?! 'Tis such a pain behind the eyes!||Special1|
|Smiles, everyone, smiles! This is like some great fantasy!||Special2|
|I know dragons with feet like rabbits! 'Tis true, I swear!||Special3|
|I suppose I should feel a sense of loss. How unfortunate. I don't care!||To death-general|
|Montaron! I... I never loved you.||To death-specific|
|Ahh yes, the chatter of friends and compatriots! Does it not warm the cockles?||To compliment1|
|Oh, speak no more lest ye gorge my sweet tooth!||To insult1|
|I'll not be mocked, thou most slanderous harlot!||
|A child wandering the wilderness? Surely you must be none too bright to be traveling these roads|
|I've no wish to strain our relationship, but you did promise to go to Nashkel. Our delay is making me rather... tense. I'm not nice when I'm tense|
Shadows of AmnEdit
In Shadows of Amn, Xzar has set up base in Athkatla and taken in two apprentices, conspiring against his Harper foes. He will appear in the Athkatla Docks close to Galvarey Estate, but only after the party has given a man called Renfeld to someone named Rylock.
Xzar will say that Montaron has been captured by the Harpers in Harper Hold. He will end up believing that Montaron has been transformed into a bird and will attempt to reverse the spell, though the bird is actually an assassin who will kill Xzar.
Xzar is an extremely psychotic character who is aware of his madness at times, stating that "Those the gods wish to destroy they first make mad!"
In Baldur's Gate II it is revealed that Xzar is also a proponent of torture, using it as means to discipline his apprentices.
- In Baldur's Gate (novel), Xzar and Montaron were working for Grand Duke Fazio during the Baldur's Gate event, he was later killed by Sarevok, who removed his right leg and other parts of his body.
- The adventure module Heroes of Baldur's Gate, which takes place one year after the events of Baldur's Gate, presents Xzar as also being a Bhaalspawn , a fact he discovered thanks to researching Sarevok after the latter's death.
- Xzar on the Forgotten Realms Wiki, a wiki for the Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting Forgotten Realms.