Please help me!
I have a crystal from kobolds and Vampire's hand. I can't open the statue on 1 level :/ what should I do?
Like it? Notice errors? Got any questions? Let me know.
Just wondering if you saw the other Baldur's Gate Wiki before you created this one? It is abandoned and you could have easily adopted it. I personally think that the other wikis URL is better, you could probably do a Special:Contact and ask the staff to merge the two, so you could take the URL. Just a thought. Nice work so far by the way.--Sxerks 22:01, January 14, 2012 (UTC)
- There is a DnD cross-wiki footer I made quite a while back that had the other wiki listed, I just changed it to yours.--Sxerks 22:46, January 14, 2012 (UTC)
- Ah, thanks. i've been working on this pretty much non-stop for the last 4 or 5 days. One i've got maybe 300 pages ill start promoting it :)
- Thomaslove92 22:54, January 14, 2012 (UTC)
- I updated the way the footer can be customized on the central wiki, and updated it here also.--Sxerks 04:38, March 15, 2012 (UTC)
Hi I felt the need to add this loveable mage robe: http://baldursgategame.wikia.com/wiki/Traveller%27s_robe
Check it out if you haven't already =)
News to tellEdit
Tom, i have so much news to tell you, can we talk?,Aleroth Sarenford 17:12, June 30, 2012 (UTC)
Tom , i never thought i would hear from you in a very long time, good friend, where were you at?, i was worried,--Aleroth Sarenford 23:11, June 30, 2012 (UTC)
Tom, have you made the preparations for moving the wiki? because i have already gained the support of 2 of the Admins on the Jade Empire wikis and will start the next campaign there, and i have also discovered a better way to move your wiki to the Bioware wiki, it's the special: Import Export tools! we need to talk about our plans friend, reply soon!,Aleroth Sarenford 12:34, July 1, 2012 (UTC)
Take your time!Edit
oh well Tom, the wiki dose sound like it needs more, if i come across anyone whom can help i will send them to you, can you at least give me a date to check up on you and the wiki and how far you've gotten?,Aleroth Sarenford 14:24, July 1, 2012 (UTC)
sounds good, Tom, just hope that we can get the two JE wikis to our side before that month arrives, well, till then, good friend, stay safe!,--Aleroth Sarenford 16:33, July 1, 2012 (UTC)
merging wikis? Edit
Basically not a good idea to merge different game wikis into one, I'm not sure why that person wants to do that.--Sxerks 21:46, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
A lot of ideas, comments and questionsEdit
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking this wiki was almost abadoned. I have some ideas about how to improve the quality of this wiki and I do not know how to that or I am not authorised to make these changes and it's quite a lot.
- The navigation tab near the wiki log
I propose that the tab Characters should be renamed to Non-Player Character and could have the following subcategories, to make the navigation to these important subjects, easy to find.
Characters, Companions, Races, Classes and Creatures.
Races: Every race has some benefits and could use a page to explain everything about them.
Classes: The class system is quite complex in this game and probably in the enchanted version (which is probably delayed) and needs some good articles. I am working on this article right now and when i feel it is finished, i will make some article about the classes.
Creatures: There are not many pages about creatures yet and you can only find them with the search tool.
The items category has need of subcategory: Consumables&Miscellanious. There many items in the game which can't be sorted in armor and weapons subcategory.
-Language: Are we using American English or British English?
-Questions about the template: infobox item
The infobox items is displaying two times the weight of the item, can you fix that?
For some articles i have uploaded pictures, for some reason, they are not displayed. Do you know what I have done wrong? Example: Longbow of Marksmanship.
Becoming an admin and other stuffEdit
You offered me to become an adminstrator, but what are the responsibilities and duties? I suppose I could become one, since I can make some difficult things like a template.
I have already corrected the error of the infobox item displaying the weight twice and the new template I have made is this one: Template: Infobox class.
Hey there Thomaslove92, my name is Doug and I'm a member of Wikia's Community Development Team! This wiki has been showing great growth recently, nice work! I wanted to make you aware of a few resources you can consult to help your wiki continue to grow. Wikia has a large Help Wiki, Admin Tools Wiki, and User Coding & Customization Forum.
If you are looking for some friendly help on making a custom skin or wordmark, refreshing your mainpage, or just adding great content, please leave a message for me on my talk page, with "Wiki Assistance" in the subject line.
Two BG Wikis?Edit
Hey, I'm one of the few admins over on the older BG wiki. You left a message on my wall a while back. Anyways, with the enhanced edition coming out, I've gotten back into the swing of things, and decided to stop by to say hey: But yeah - questions: Why go through the bother of creating a second wiki? - why not just work on improving the one that already exists? There's been a lot of talk on your own boards concerning a merge, with the prefered url being the older, so why hasn't that happened yet? And yes, the old one has been 'abandoned' for a while, but only because people keep saying that instead of making a long-term effort - why not change that mindset? Having said this, your creation seems quite impressive, though I likely will not take much part in it; just seems silly, imho, to work on a second manifestation. However, if there is anything I can do to help in relation to the original wiki, please let me know... Dsurian 13:18, December 17, 2012 (UTC)
- Yeah, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. As I said, I'd like to work towards developing an impressive BGWikia, but as there are still two, it has to be a question of which one, and me being the perfectionist that I am, I'd prefer the older one (based souly on the url). :/ And code is unfortunately my weakness, atm, but I'm fairly adept at editing images, so I'd look forward to helping you...but only if we can consolidate. So, not sure if I'll be able to pull this off, but hypothetically if I contact the wikia rep that made me an admin on the original, and convince him to make you an admin over there as well, are you up for making the move back over? - I'd help out with the move if you wish, and offer continued support...if not, thats cool - I'd completely understand, this site being your baby, but I doubt I'd be convinced to stay here...let me know if you're willing, and I'll reach out to wikia. Dsurian 18:19, December 17, 2012 (UTC)
- Give me a few days to try to get in touch with a few people. As far as the future merge (yeah, I wish there was a magical button too), I don't want to necessarily lay down the law...move whatever you think is appropriate. I do like your background better, despite the decent pic the original already has. Beyond that, just imagine your copying over an older file directory...there will be some new pages that we won't need to worry about once moved, and then there will be a few duplicates that you/I/whoever will have to decide between (which, of the 2 pages, is superior). But yeah, as this is all still kinda hypothetical, let's not get ahead of ourselves... Also, there might be a chance we can just scrap the original, and change this one's url to 'baldursgate'. Would make things a bit easier, but yeah...like I said, would need to check into it. Dsurian 03:10, December 18, 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry for the delay, but had a lot of stuff go down at once...found some time on Christmas day, of all times. Anyways, made a post to hopefully adopt the page. Threw your name in there too, so assuming that at least one of the options gets fullfilled, we'll be good to go. Just so you know... Dsurian 04:57, December 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Update; check the above link, and you'll see. Basically this is going to be turned into the original, once we request that the actual original be removed...before we do that, though, we need to sift through the 100+ pages of the original to see if there is anything worth salvaging. We could try import/export but it honestly looks like more trouble than its worth. A few pictures are the only thing worth salvaging at a glance, but we'll see. Plus, might be a good idea to meet up in chat sometime soon...lemme know... Dsurian 04:34, January 2, 2013 (UTC)
Plans of moving to the older Baldur's Gate wikiaEdit
I've have heard that you decided to move the content of this wikia to the older wikia and delete this one to make a better Baldur's Gate wikia in the long term. Does that mean that editing this one in the meantime will be for nothing? If that's the case, I will move to the other wikia to add content and organise stuff there.23dutch45man (talk) 16:29, December 18, 2012 (UTC)
1) The dutchman and I have started working on a small consolidation project that you're certainly welcome to keep an eye on (link), but the reason that I bring this to your attention is that one of the templates needs some work. If you go to the page we're working on, the Quote templates #2 field appears to be broken. Any chance you can fix it?
2) I've done some work on the Deus Ex Wikia and one of the main reasons I'm so attracted to it (as it is the reason I've come back all-together) is that the layout is amazing, imho - note how clean and organized everything looks. For instance, a) the pages don't have a "Read More" section at the bottom - the pages look a bit cluttered with them, and we honestly shouldn't need them; if the articles in "Read More" actually relate to the page your on, that page should directly reference it in an organized and descriptive manner, or have it easily reachable through categories. Also, b) the comment sections are removed, yet replaced with a talk page unique to the topic - this reduces the clutter on the page itself even more, and allows for easily organized discussion off-page. Likewise, c) the user talk pages have topics much like the comment sections, which help create an atmosphere of social networking, other than the wall of text that our talk pages are becoming. Thoughts?
3) Badges - I like that you've customzied them somewhat, but I can do you one better. Note, on the DXWikia, their bages are completely customized, showing custom-made pictures featuring relatable and viable references. It also makes their wiki a bit unique and special, imho. An outside user discusses it here (link) and you will hopefully understand what he's talking about. If you do and you're agreeable, let me know and I'll get to work on a set of pictures for you.
...or you can make me an admin and I can work on how to do all this myself? Just a thought... Dsurian 06:13, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
Pictures Durlag's TowerEdit
I have made some screenshots from Durlag's Tower, processed them and uploaded them here. While I am pretty confident that most artwork&icons of items are good, I have also uploaded some pictures from many other things, like statues, monsters and other things. Could you take a look them and give your opinion?
I also have some screenshots from underground areas which I haven't uploaded, but they have the green circles from companions and the green rectangle of the camera on them also, do you know how can remove that with MS paint or altering configurations of the game?
Enhanced Edition& Baldur's Gate IIEdit
Thanks for your feedback on my uploaded pictures and about the pictures with the cloak of displacement, I will make some new ones.
I have considered downloading the Enhanced Edition, but I have finished Baldur's Gate for the first time about two weeks ago and since I putted a lot of time in editing the wiki and playing the game, I think it's good to stop playing it for a while, but I can still gather material for the wiki on request. Since yesterday it's also available on Steam but I will wait to see it drop to 15 euro's.
I am going to purchase a digital version of Baldur's Gate II on gog.com today, from which I also bought Baldur's Gate. They also add a pdf files of the manuals of the games, should I try upload these?
About the other wiki, are you going to upload the articles about which give some basic information about the games or do I have to aks Dsurian about that? 23dutch45man (talk) 09:25, January 18, 2013 (UTC)
Baldur's Gate II wikiEdit
Tomorrow or the day after the wiki will have 500 pages, which may be all added by me, or maybe someone else. In anyway, it means that a great achievement is then reached. =)
While searching on the internet, I found out that there is a Baldur's Gate II Wiki, which is unfortunately in a even worse shape than the older Baldur's Gate Wiki, and except from 27 pages about subquests and 54 pictures, the wiki doesn't have any content to offer yet. The founder of the wiki self, ThomasMalcolm is the only on adding content every now and then.
- As we are arranging the merge of the older baldur's gate wiki and our final goal is to eventually make a wiki that covers all games in the serie of Baldur's Gate, shouldn't one of us inform the founder of the other wiki and the wiki itself of our plans?
- Maybe that we can work out something, like another merge in the future, or that we try to attract contributors and users for both wiki's?
You can make me administrator, but I have never been one before, so it's gonna take some time to get used to the extra tools coming along with it.
And could you please make some pictures from the three different colors bucklers and large shields in the same way as you did for the Small Shield and Medium Shield? That would be great if you could do that!
Edit: I have made some small changes on the home page, tell me if you like it!
I took a look at the wiki policies and corrected a few spelling mistakes, but this wiki doesn't have any policies about language, which the wiki must have. In the section on uploading pictures we should make clear that we use png files for normal pictures and for animated pictures the wiki uses gif files.
You may want to take a look at the policies and see if the changes made by me are reasonable.
I was looking at the other Baldur's Gate wiki and they have a header template with internal links to categories. I believe we can use that to improve the navigation of this wiki, although the color has to be changed. If you don't think that's a good idea, we can change the top navigation to what the Neverwinter Nights wiki does with it.
Could you take a look at this article and tell me what you think about it?
Here is the link to the template http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Header . You need to copy and paste the programming text underneath the header called articles from the other baldur's gate wike home page too, or you only have the header, which is just decoration. 23dutch45man (talk) 22:49, February 10, 2013 (UTC)
Hey this is ThomasMalcum from Baldur's Gate 2 Wiki. I recently got a message from 23dutch45man about merging. I am for it if you are.
Malcum 13:52, February 23, 2013 (UTC)
Main page requestEdit
Maybe we should make a request at wikia central to help us design a better main page. We don't have a functional main page yet and I don't know how to make it better. One requirement which we don't meet yet is that we don't have all our pages categorized. Under which category should your video walkthroughs be placed? 23dutch45man (talk) 21:57, February 24, 2013 (UTC)
Good work on the main page, I can appreciate it! Still, it needs some improvement. My general impression about the main page is it's more functional, but the templates are a bit too close to each other, it needs a bit more space between them.
I have edited the summary template, adding more text. Just you know. Anyway, here are my recommendations for the main page:
- I can't see the right side of the work in progress template because the space is already being used for advertisements. That needs some fixing or be removed entirely.
- Nothing wrong with the welcome template, it could be on top of the main page.
- The helping out template could be on the bottom of the page, but on top of the template directing to the other dungeon and dragons wikis. It creates more space if it was done.
- Featured article template, nothing wrong with it.
- Featured images template should be moved to the center because pictures should be large so it's easy to look at them. At this moment it's too small and stowed at the right side.
- Article categories could be placed at the right side of the main page, under the advertisements like the Baldur's Gate wiki, unless you can think of a better place.
- Useful links template is at the right place.
Thanks for the program, but I am going to focus on the items listed in Sorcerous Sundries. I don't know if you can extract information on item prices out of it, because that's hard to get. Maybe we should write a page about it on this wiki if it's a great tool. Have you tried it out with BGII and BGEE? If it works for those games too, it's a must have for editors on this wiki.
Oh, I have one trick question about magical scrolls.
Because this wiki is going to make just one page about every spell and the spell scroll, which is logical, should we treat the green ones, for example protection from acid, fire, cold undead and the cure petrification, including the cursed ones as items or as spells?
I have written ten articles about classes and one page about classes in general, but these were written only with Baldur's Gate in mind and since the classes system is completed revised from BGII, these are probably quite confusing to those who don't know the original Baldur's Gate. Should I put the game in brackets, like Fighter (Baldur's Gate) or Fighter (Baldur's Gate II + EE)? Let me know what you think. 23dutch45man (talk) 22:35, March 18, 2013 (UTC)
I have made a forum post at the Forgotten Realms Wiki in the hope to find more contributors. The link to that post is here: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Baldur%27s_Gate_Wikia?t=20130323012122. I have also made an agreement that we are making external links to pages about the same subject. The page called FRW should have been a template, but due to my inexperience in making templates, I have done something wrong and now the wiki thinks it's a normal page. I don't know if you can make the wiki see the page as template, else I will ask if the person who made it for the FRW to help me.
Maybe we should make a post about this wiki on the Baldur's gate enhanced edition and on the related forum of Steam.
I have also made a link on the older Baldur's Gate wiki on the top of the page to this wiki. I hope it brings more visitors our way.
I have made changes to the policies. Let me know if you can agree with the policies.
I took some time to fool around with the program, it's pretty easy to use, but the amount of data is huge. It also revealed I have made a mistake with prices and values, I have replaced for a number of items the value of the item (100%) to the value when you are selling items (50%) and to value when the store is selling items (most of the time 150%). The information is not gone, it can be found in a previous version or just double the selling value. Shall we replace selling price and store price for value or can we simple add item value to the infobox item? Let me know what you think.
I also blocked an user who vandalised Thunderhammer Smithy who added nonsense to the article and reverted the page back to its previous version.
Spells Baldur's Gate II, main pageEdit
I made a list of with many spells of Baldur's Gate II, click here. After improving this list, we or I can copy this list to a new page and remove all spells level 6 and higher and we have the list of spells for Baldur's Gate EE.
I have made a poll on the main page. Maybe we can learn something from it, maybe not. I did find it necessary to protect the main page after someone vandalised it, I blocked him for some time. I have also made a new template for the main page, I have not added it, because it requires pages which don't exist.
I am also curious how the merge is going with the older Baldur's Gate wiki. Has it come to halt because there is no one is working on it or something?
It's a shame it came to a halt. I would like to make it succeed, but to be honest, I don't have a honest clue how a wiki merge works. I only know how I can get bureaucrat/adminstrator rights, but do you know where I can find information on merges on the Community Central Wikia?
I would like to know what your reason is for stopping editing here, if you are willing to tell. Is it because there are more interesting wiki projects you are participating in or is your interest gone for the Baldur's Gate wiki? It's not that I blame you for stopping editing here, you worked hard on this wiki and if this wiki didn't exist, I would not have invested much time on the other Baldur's Gate wiki because it's a giant mess.
I have started the wiki merge about a week ago. It seems I didn't need adminstrator/bureaucrat rights for the merge. I have tried to contact Dsurian, but I didn't hear anything from him yet.
So far, I have added the url of all videos on this wiki, uploaded all selected pictures and all selected pages are imported, the hyperlink to the checklist I have made is here: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Checklist_Baldur%27s_Gate_Game_wiki_merge
I still have to copy sections from articles which I didn't import to this wiki and make more edits on the imported pages. This will take like three weeks or less. Maybe the merge is completed in about a month, depending on how much there is between making the request, approving it and the act itself.
Infobox template Edit
I just stopped by the wiki for some info, and noticed that the Infobox in MonoBook doesn't look so hot compared to the template in Wikia. I'd like to suggest adding a "float:right" to the table CSS at the very least, and perhaps a border? As long as these match the Wikia CSS styles, it'll make no difference there, but if you're looking at it in Monobook, like I ususally do, it'll be a big improvement, I think.
I'd make the changes myself, but as you can tell by my huge contribution history, I'm not exactly familiar with where all it's used and what the effects might be. In a quick scan of What Links Here, it looks like the changes would benefit most pages, but since you did most of the recent work on the template, I thought I should come to you to be sure. – RobinHood70 (talk) 17:13, May 12, 2013 (UTC)
Although uploading photos is still possible, it has some issues for three days. Could you take a look and see if you could fix it? I had issues with this before, but it was only for a day or less.
You might notice the wiki has changed url, this is because I have merged this wiki and the older Baldur's Gate wiki. The wiki is getting more visitors and thus more contributors. We probably reach 1,000 pages in two months or less.
The problem is when you add/upload a photo, the field in which you put the information about the source in text, not the licensing, is gone.
Could you also take a look at the Feautred article template. For Lilarcor, I think the pictures is too big. Is it the template or the image?
Strange, uploading/adding a photo is functioning as it should be today. Perhaps this is something with the servers or Wikia or something?
Yes, this will help for certain.
Thomas, this wiki has now 1,000 pages.
I was thinking to enable the forums on this wiki now we have 70k - 85k visitors every week after I started promoting this wiki on wikia.com, but does this involve more than just clicking on the button of enabling the forum?
Also, this wiki needs some categories to specify from which games the pages are, because when the wiki grows, it be more difficult to find content from a specific game. I was thinking we should create the following categories:
- Category Baldur's Gate (game) for the original and the expansion pack tales of the sword coast
- Category Baldur's Gate II for all content of Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal
- Category Baldur's Gate: EE for all content of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.
- Category Baldur's Gate II: EE for all content of Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition, for whenever Overhaul Games and Atari have sorted out their differences and release the game and the patches for Baldur's Gate EE as well.
- Category Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I and Category Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II for Dark Alliance I and II
Let me know what you think about it.
Potential administrator and side effect forumsEdit
I think that User:Tommy2215 might be a good administrator, as he has made over 1,100 edits in nearly two months and makes some edits on this wiki nearly every day since then. Of course I need your opinion as well and you the only one who can promote users to administrators. I haven't asked this user if he/she want to become an adminstrator, but if you think it's a wise decision, I will inform if he/she wants to.
Since the forums are enabled, it's possible to start adiscussion from the page itself. See Crom Faeyr as example. I think it makes the comments section below it redundant, but then the Talk: page might be needed, as you don't want tips on how a page can be improved or what's wrong it on the forums.
User:Tommy2215 agrees to become an administrator, so you can promote him!
Mainpage, new module and 4 decemberEdit
I have been experimenting with Template:Main page featured videos, but for some reason, it's a bit wider than the other modules on the mainpage and I can't get it right. Could you take a look at it?
Also, the fluid layout is coming on 4 December. I don't know if this going to bring trouble for the main page, but could you take a look when it has arrived?
Many years ago, I posted a lot of exploits and bugs I discovered playing and modding the Infinity Engine on Gibberlings Three, TeamBG and Forgotten Wars(?) I believe. Some of them were fixed by Kevin Dorner in his Baldurdash updates, but even with the new releases some of them still exist in the game. I would like to devote a page or pages to documenting them because they're fun things for veteran players to try and experiment with, without having to use eternal tools to modify the game, and I've been dying for almost a decade to share this knowledge with people who would actually be interested in replicating them. Would you be fine with this? Heparin (talk) 23:46, February 16, 2014 (UTC)
New admin and some codingEdit
I think it's wise to promote User:Ioulaum to admin, as he has made a lot of edits. Might it be possible if you promote me to Bureaucrat as well, because you are longer active on this wiki?
Also, could you check the request for help section on my talk page and add this code to the monobook.css if this is possible?
Thanks in advance
Some favours for the Icewind Dale WikiEdit
One week ago I created the Icewind Dale Wiki and I need some things to get started. If it's not too much trouble, could you help me with:
- Interwiki templates, like Template:FRW, but also the same BGW template linking to this wiki aren't working properly. Could you check them out and see what I have done wrong or perhaps change the settings of the website?
- Can you change the uploading procedure of the pictures so that works the same on the Icewind wiki the same as here?
- Could you make a custom wordmark and/or background for the Icewind Dale wiki or explain me how you did that back then when you created this wiki?
If you could help, I shall make sure that you have (tempopary) access to the parts that require admin or bureaucrat status.
Thomas, you are awesome! Thanks for all the work you've done creating and maintaining this wiki! I use it all the time and you've made my life immeasurably more enjoyable. May many women birth your children and may many golden coins find their way into your bank account - User:User:22.214.171.124
Well met! I appreciate the support. I may have got the ball rolling a few years back but User:23dutch45man has done a lot of the leg work. Your kind works are appreciated. Happy travels. -Thomas Love [talk] 21:30, May 11, 2015 (UTC)
Much like the user above, I am extremely grateful to you for creating this wiki. I've been playing the Baldur's Gate games since before wikis existed, and it's incredibly useful to have a detailed site full of info, even if it still has a way to go in some areas.
However, I've been wondering if you ever plan on coming back, for maintenance purposes, perhaps? I've noticed more than a few things around here that could be done. It's been about a year since any admins have been around, and I'm really hoping this place hasn't been completely abandoned. - Erik the Mad (talk) 22:45, August 1, 2015 (UTC)
- Glad to hear it. I'd hate to think I'm mostly alone in trying to provide info for the fans of the games, here. However, I was wondering if you would consider making me an admin. Like I said, there are some maintenance issues (mostly minor), and it's starting to bother me that I'm here all the time and yet can do nothing about them - especially since I was was accidentally responsible for one or three of them. Not to mention that the main page can use some updating.
- I have a considerable backlog but, now that my 'to-do' list is more or less complete, I can finally start adding pages more often rather than touching up existing ones (not that I'll ignore those still in need of attention, of course). Also, I know vandalism isn't really a problem on this wiki, but it would be nice to be able to deal with it directly when it does rear its ugly head, rather than outsourcing it to someone at VSTF. Let me know what you think. - Erik the Mad (talk) 17:57, August 24, 2015 (UTC)
I was wondering if you had an opinion on this site being included in the new gaming footers? We'd love for the Baldur's Gate community to be included!
Where'd you go?!? Edit
We miss you... Dsurian 22:22, October 31, 2016 (UTC)
I have been wondering if my map is not the full map. The world map that you have posted here shows a lot of areas that mine does not. I have Baldur's Gate enhanced edition but do not have the expansion Siege of Dragonspear. Is this the reason why? Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from you soon. Chukn33 (talk) 03:37, September 1, 2017 (UTC)
- Hello. That may be the reason, but it may just be that you've not explored fully (as in left Map A in the correct direction so as to reveal Map B). If you could show me a picture of what map you are seeing I will be able to tell you what might be going on. All the best -Thomas Love [talk] 10:02, September 3, 2017 (UTC)
I believe that you have helped me with this post because I do remember that some of the area opened up on my World Map. I had just thought that it was just an update that did that instead. I am going to explore some more and see what else shows up. As for showing you a picture I am unsure how to do that.
Fwd: Administrative housekeeping needed Edit
Hey! User:Islandking just mentioned on my talk page, that you are semi-active now, so since there's no active adimistrator now, let me link to the message I left on User:23dutch45man's talk page about administrative housekeeping :)
Hi Thomaslove92, nice to meet youEdit
There’ve been a lot of going-ons here recently, one of the most notable is the category overhaul discussions, could you take a look at the message I left on 23dutch45man's talk page? Thank you.
Re: Admin Rights Edit
Hello! I've just read the message you left me – let me speak for myself, but I doubt User:Islandking will have any objections either – he's been on this wiki longer than me after all! I'm relatively new here, but done quite a few edits in the past indeed (spending probably more time that I should :P) and I also have experience with MediaWiki from other Wikis I edited (in and out of Wikia) and know the administration tools, so I should do fine with task hopefully :). Actually, Islandking is more fond of Wikia/Fandom tools, as I'm more of oldschool-type wiki editor, not even using old interface, so that could be a good combiantion for us both. Having access to some of these tools could indeed be handy, hopefully both improving the wiki with other contributors here!
Also thanks for caring and maintaining the wiki now and in the past and thank you very much for an offer!
Just leaving the note that I got your message and everything seems to work fine, as I see the special pages reserved for admins list in Special:Specialpages, so thank you very much :)! I'll add the userbox to my profile momentarily – gonna keep the other template yet (I was the one who marked it), but it either had to be updated (the link was pointing to the wrong place) and since no one use it may as well be removed. Either way, with admin tools, me and Islandking have enough tools to decide for ourselves, so it's on our side :P.
Reply: Admin RightsEdit
First I’d like to thank you and all people who’ve made great contributions to this site, I wish I could’ve had more chances to say so and I wish I’d have known this site earlier so I’d have had the pleasure to work with you guys.
BGwikia is already a resourceful knowledge base, but it still needs more work to become an all-in-one site for BG fans, which is my long term goal but can never be done by a single person alone. I view admin rights nothing more than more devotions and more responsibilities to keep this site steering at the right direction with many others.
Faalagorn is new to this site, but already contributed much and is very skilled in coding, we can be good partners and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can do in future.
I should also say that for the safety of this site, I’ll send you and Dutchman messages so that you know when to stripe my admin rights should I go dormant.
- Hello Thomaslove92, it’s great to hear from you again.
- I’ll keep in mind your suggestions and continue to improve this wikia as much as I can. There’s a lot to do in the list, most notably SoD content, I’ll probably get to it once the category & housekeeping and many others in the to-do list are nearly done, hopefully with v2.4 port patch release, more tablet users will come to fill that out as well.
- Thanks again for building this great site, be sure to come back and check it from time to time. Islandking (talk) 02:26, September 7, 2017 (UTC)
Request for administrative rights Edit
We never had the chance to get to know each other (your last contribution was on September 15, last year – I joined on September, 17 ;) , so this might come out of the blue, but as for the current state and maintenance of the wiki, it looks like this: Islandking, with whom I worked well together, has gone into "passive" status; Faalagorn, with whom I only had rare talks, was last active in October, last year. You perhaps know that Dutchman has ripped himself off the bureaucrat rights because of his inactivity (not off admin, however), and Erik the Mad's last activity has been more than a year ago.
Currently I am the only daily contributor here – and I don't plan to change this. My activitity has become less intensive in the past time, but I'm answering comments, fixing related things on the articles, and keep an eye on the recent changes.
I do have administrative experience on two non-Wikia wikis (though currently mostly inactive, or passive), and just a couple days ago I've become admin on the Icewind Dale Wiki – so I know how to use the tools. Many of them, at least.
I always try to be a responsible, neutral, detailed, correct, orderly, etc. editor on any wiki, I'm contributing to. I have a good knowledge of the BG game files, and I own both (original and Enhanced) editions of both (all three) games.
Currently most of my work goes into the IWDW, but I make intensive usage of the related interwiki templates, and many, many spells on IWDW link to their counterpart on this wiki, and this wiki links back to them – trying to connect and affiliating both wikis.
Islandking supports my request. He might perhaps add to this topic …
Hi there Thomaslove92,
It's been a while and this wiki has seen many changes & improvements since last year, it's all the work of some dedicated contributors, with CompleCCity being one of them, and is the only active editor now. I myself couldn't maintain the work load as before, things have happened, I'll slowly step out of this wiki and demote my admin tool after sone point as I promised, but this wiki needs an active admin. I'd recommend CompleCCity not only became he's the only available option, but also his experience and dedication as many wiki's admins, he'll surely stand guard BGW and use his expertise to continue improve it in the long run, which I firmly believe.
Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to admin BGW, it's been a pleasure.
Hi folks! Great to meet you CompleCCity and glad to hear from you Islandking! It's a shame we weren't active editors at the same time, but I'm so glad you've been here while many of the rest of us weren't. Although I've not edited in ages I do pop by occasionally (often to use the wiki while I'm gaming) and I'm always so glad to see that it is still evolving and growing beyond anything I could have achieved.
CompleCCity - I'm happy to promote you to Admin simply on IslandKing's recomendation but I had a quick look over your edits and conversations just for my own peace of mind. You've done tremendous work on the wiki and I'm so glad to see the constant communication you've maintained. As IslandKing may remember, I consider communication to be one of the most important responsibilities of an Admin.
I have updated your user to an Admin so you are free to add Template:Admin or Template:User admin to your userpage if/when you choose. Congratulations I suppose and thank you for your work on this wiki. Even though there are very few active editors, I encourage you to communicate with them wherever possible, especially before making big changes.
Islandking - Thanks for all your hard work on this wiki and for keeping in touch. I think it's fair to say you've contributed more time and effort to this wiki than any other admin. You can keep your Admin rights as long as you wish. Best of luck in whatever personal or professional projects you are currently working on on.
I'm sure I'll hear from you again in the future. -Thomas Love [talk] 21:25, June 14, 2018 (UTC)
Many thanks, Thomaslove92!
Noticed the small "unpatrolled" exclamation mark, when I just refreshed the recent changes. Thought, hugh, what's this? So fast? The next thing I saw was your edit here. Again, thanks!
I'm happy for Islandking, what you think about him. I guess, it'll be hard to achieve the same amount of improvements to the wiki as he did. (All the time I think, Islandking is a "he" – but I just realize, I did never ask, nor did they tell or have it in their profile. Guess, it's because of the "king" ;) Hard, if even possible.
Feel free, Thomas, to step in and ask me what I'm doing if you ever think, "why did he want to become admin again?" It would also be great to see you return to activity whenever you notice something has to be done while you're using the wiki for a playthrough.
I hope I will fulfill the role to an extent, which all interested contributors and staff can be content with. Again, if not, step in. This also goes to you, Islandking. Until next time. -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 23:01, June 14, 2018 (UTC)
Thanks Thomas Love. Much info I added to this wiki was the carry work from some sources, which I believe I've done the proper credits for. The demotion is considered to ensure the safety of this site, to prevent a potential hecked admin account gone rogue. If one day I decided to return, I'll ask for it again, yes I hope we can one day work together Thomas.
It seems I need your approval (or perhaps even a request from yourself) to give my recently created second account a bot flag.
I'm currently the only active admin there, plan some changes on infoboxes and perhaps categories, and will (for a start) use AWB for (mostly) text replacements. (I have some experience with it.) Thus I ask for bot status for my newly created
And if you don't mind, you could set the flag on Icewind Dale Wiki as well. I haven't spoken with our bureaucrat Rik about that, yet, but I don't think he'll disapprove, and as of now we don't have a bot over there.
Thanks in advance,
Kirkburn hasn't replied as of today, but somebody else told me to Contact/general, but also said "FANDOM Staff require direct approval from a bureaucrat (most likely the bureaucrat makes their approval known on wiki or uses their account to file a support ticket) […] Requesting a bot flag only as admin without bureaucrat or community consensus most likely will get rejected."
Are there any objections by you against my bot? Could you approve instead? (Or directly filing the ticket, if you've already done so before?) That would be nice!
- Yay! Finally. Thanks! I already was starting to worry about our one and only bureaucrat here. ;)
- Well, perhaps you don't have to do anything more. I now will contact Wikia staff per an official contact mask, ask for bot rights for my cyborg here and on IWDW, link to your permission and to Rik's over there – and see what happens. That other person only mentioned that it might be possible that the bureaucrat would have to file that request, but I think I'll try first myself – and you have your peace. (Hopefully.) :)
- Wanna here a funny story? I don't know if you're still getting watchlist notifications – if so, you might have received the one or other note about changes or even deletions of files you once uploaded (though sometimes I restored your versions). I've recently started to clean up all the portrait files, categorize them, replace screenshots and wrong aspect ratios with original game file extracts, such things … Consequence? Tommy2215 came to visit for three days, with some minor edits, and also Dsurian, who is still admin; he even deleted two files from the candidates for deletion – not his uploads, however. And then? Gone with the wind, again. Stirring up some discontent, I thought – I hope that not.
- Okay, plans for the future? Auto-categorization for infoboxes – on the template side. Else? Starting an enhanced walkthrough and writing a walkthrough. Simultaneously rework all area, character and quest articles. Find neat gimmicks to style walkthroughs attractive and easy to follow. In the background? Check area, creature, spell and item lists with the current and old game files, complete them. Upload/replace files with actual game assets, in the proper quality. Find a way to get proper creature, location and quest screenshots during the walkthrough. And so on …
- So, I guess, enough work for the next years …
- I will tell you if I need further assistance in getting the bot flag. 'til … some day. :)
- Oh, one thing I almost forgot again: am I allowed to do some changes to the wiki's general style? Color scheme and such? (I'd like to replace the logo, and find colors that more match the games – not completely black, as the EE nowadays, perhaps a mixture of all editions, but definitely a bit darker. Idea was, with the theme designer, to test a scheme, but always revert before the next step, to retain the old version as a backup.) -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 00:50, September 27, 2018 (UTC)
Alignment grid Edit
I always liked it there, but oddly it didn't came to my mind to adopt it. Then – just recently – I found it here, solely used on one article only, the Amnian Soldier. Well, I fiddled around wih it a bit (actually it was a bit more than a bit ;) … and now its a part of four infoboxes (creatures, companions, deities and classes; on, off and the new opt(ional) are handled automatically via extra parameters) and used on 1,141 articles. Looks nice, and adds some flair to the infobox. :)
Your friendly neighborhood Wiki ManagerEdit
Hi! My name is Moviesign, and I’m the Fandom Wiki Manager for Baldur's Gate Wiki. I am here to help the community and be a liaison to full-time Fandom staff. If you ever have a question or issue relating to the wiki, editing, styling, templates, etc., please contact me on my message wall / talk page. —Moviesign (talk) 19:04, May 7, 2019 (UTC)
PS: We miss you on the Forgotten Realms Wiki!
Back for part 3? Edit
- Haha! Maybe. I'm very excited. I hope the new game brings lots of readers and editors to our wiki. You've done some amazing work here. You may have noticed I have changed two of our inactive Admins to Rollbacks. Just a security measure. If they come back I'll be happy to promote them again. I'll be interested to see what Moviesign says in response to your message. Great to see you are still active here. -Thomas Love [talk] 17:45, June 6, 2019 (UTC)
- Yes, I have noticed.
- And, yes, I do need help in preparing this wiki for III – I'm absolutely no social networker, don't have a Facebook or Twitter account and also don't follow those (at least I've subscribed to the Larian newsletter).
I've just put the announcement on the main page, but that is also something I haven't put much care into – I'm more the detail freak for infoboxes and such, rather than having an eye for the whole or how the wiki presents itself to the common reader … I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, just now … ;) -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 17:57, June 6, 2019 (UTC)
- And, yes, I do need help in preparing this wiki for III – I'm absolutely no social networker, don't have a Facebook or Twitter account and also don't follow those (at least I've subscribed to the Larian newsletter).
- Yeah I can imagine. You've done great. I will try and help where I can. Hopefully the announcement will get us some new editors to help. Also I'm hoping Moviesign has some ideas. -Thomas Love [talk] 18:23, June 6, 2019 (UTC)
- Perhaps you're also interested in this info:
- Page views yesterday (announcement day) were 18.4% higher than the average of the last seven days (though Sunday was almost as high), and our vertical peak reached a new record of seven ranks higher than the day before. :) -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 19:33, June 7, 2019 (UTC)
- Update: again two ranks gained vertically, and page views 45.4% above this month's average. Wow!
- Content Team Member Cyanide3 and I have started a discussion about improvements to the main page etc.; see User talk:CompleCCity#CTM-Team Hilfe für Baldurs Gate III and Re: CTM team help for Baldurs Gate III.
- However, I'd really like to have feedback from this wiki's founder before doing major changes, such as choosing another background image or color scheme, enabling discussions, and what more there could be. I will not waiting too long, though. ;) If there's no input by you, we will modernize this a bit. (Not sure about focussing on BG3 only, though, and fading the series' roots into the background …) -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 10:48, June 8, 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks for those numbers, that's really great. I'm more than happy for you to make some big changes to the wiki. I think discussions would be really useful. A new background and colour scheme would also be a good idea. Did you have anything in mind? -Thomas Love [talk] 22:41, June 9, 2019 (UTC)
- As a first step, I've reduced (but also added) and reordered content on the main page. I also have changed the font for the main page section headers to be displayed as Garamond, which is used for the Nietzsche quote in the original and enhanced intro video for the first game – I think, it looks nice with small caps for game titles. Other game fonts aren't really suitable for the wiki (but might be used for specific things, like and ).
- One of the next steps will be me trying to find an alternative (original game files graphics) for the wiki logo. That might become a basis for coloring.
- I think, a wiki should mirror the topic it's about – by using the topic's styling and artwork, it's "corporate identity". This, however, becomes difficult if, as it's the case for Baldur's Gate, all games and editions have different designs. If I can't find something like a "common denominator", I prefer to go back to the roots and use the 'originals' – with exceptions, however. The wiki background, e.g., could be switched to the artwork from the new trailer – higher resolution, but still looking 'traditionally' somehow; and as it depicts the city of Baldur's Gate, it's a good fit. (I also thought about using the original stone wall background, but that might be a bit depressive … ;)
- Colors should then be chosen to match all that. The current scheme, as far as I can tell, isn't connected very closely to the games, or am I wrong? (Did I mention that I'm red-green blind? ;)
Opinion needed Edit
First: if nothing looks different, then either somebody has reverted my edit unnoticed, you're using a mobile device to open the page, or your browser/system doesn't support the fonts that are used (by priority: Sherwood, Garamond, Times New Roman, serif).
Shall we display article headers of games (and some others) as shown currently on Baldur's Gate III? Or is this a bad idea?
Здравствуйте, мне нужна ваша помощь Мне нужно экспортировать героя-компаньона. Можете ли вы сказать мне, как это сделать? (Так или иначе)
Hello, I need your help. I need to export a companion hero. Can you tell mehow do this? (Any way)
- You want to export your player character? Go to the character screen and press "Export". -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 12:52, November 18, 2019 (UTC)
Coat of arms Edit
first of all thank you for all your work about my absolute favorite game ever! I am really impressed of your coat of arms work, among others. So far I found the following maps with crests in them which are all based on the two maps that came with the game (the first two):
Based on these maps I have a few questions:
- Why have you decided to go back to 2D for the Baldur's Gate crest and to shorten the water lines? I really liked the 3D look you gave them all at the beginning! And it does match better with the others also found on the maps.
- On what base did you choose the colors from?
- For the Iron Throne crest map 1 uses a dark orange/almost red with light brown while map 2 and 4 use a grayish background and a red sword. You picked a light orange background with a light brown sword. Just wondering why?
- For Nashkel you picked more of a teal/aquamarine color while on maps 2 -> 4 are all grayish. Is that just a prefered color of yours or do you have other sources I missed?
For Flaming Fist crest I totally understand why you decided to go with the colors of map 2 and not map 1! And the crest for Candlekeep, File:Beregost crest.png and Friendly Arm Inn are super awesome!! Amazing! --Mortain87 (talk) 09:45, January 14, 2020 (UTC)
- Hello! Glad you like the crests and the content :D You ask some good questions;
- The 2D style was just something i was playing around with, I think I prefer the 3D style now though. I will render out a 3D version :)
- As for these two questions of colour choices - I honestly cant remember. I made these crests back in 2012 and I can't remember my reasoning. Based on the source material, it makes no sense why I would choose those colours XD If I can't find the reason I will probably update the renders.
- Thanks for bringing these little oddities to my attention. I will try to update them :D -Thomas Love [talk] 18:40, January 26, 2020 (UTC)
Move Tear of Bhaal to plural Edit
A stub article exists Tears of Bhaal which is the correct name, but doesn't contain the information contained in the wrongly named Tear of Bhaal. I've merged the information, updated the infobox but are not allowed to delete pages so can't move the singular to the plural. Could you help out? Thanks in advance. --Lytora (talk) 22:54, February 27, 2020 (UTC)
- Thanks mate :) -Thomas Love [talk] 21:23, March 20, 2020 (UTC)
Lol thanks... i read the post below me... which got a swift answer turn around of about 6 years... and I assumed I might not get a swift resolution... lmao...
But, hey, it never hurts to ask, right?
New Quest templates? Edit
Been a while since I've been here (tidied up added a bunch of missing quests some time ago), but is that a new quest template? Because I am not loving that giant font quest dialogue. The old version was nicely understated. Metalmunki (talk) 09:46, May 23, 2020 (UTC)