Kondar, also known as Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs. Shapeshifters, is an enchanted bastard sword which does additional damage against shapeshifters. Specifically, the sword deals 2 additional points of damage against doppelgangers and lycanthropes (werewolves and wolfweres). Against any other target, it is identical to a Bastard Sword +1. It is both a silver and cold iron weapon. This item appears in Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur's Gate II, and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Baldur's Gate[edit | edit source]
- Dropped by Aldeth Sashenstar in the first region of Cloakwood Forest if the party allies with the druids. If the party sides with Aldeth, he will later give the sword to the party as a reward for helping him with an investigation in Baldur's Gate.
Tales of the Sword Coast[edit | edit source]
- Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (1999)
This icon indicates content from the original Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast campaign. In the original Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast only, the sword can also be stolen from a locked drawer in a commoner's house(AR1006 | 166.263) in Ulgoth's Beard (the house is also locked).
- The drawer has a trap script that will summon the guards when the drawer is opened, even if the commoner is charmed, dead, or not in the room. This can be avoided by having a character under the effect of Improved Invisibility open the drawer.
- Baldur's Gate:
Enhanced Edition (2012)
This icon indicates content from the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition campaign. In Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Kondar is replaced with a generic Bastard Sword +1 (and the trap will not trigger if the commoner is not in the room).
Siege of Dragonspear[edit | edit source]
Shadows of Amn[edit | edit source]
- Obtained from Lehtinan as a reward for helping him eliminate Hendak, or obtained from Hendak as a reward for freeing the slaves from the Slums.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- In Baldur's Gate, Kondar is one of the few weapons that possess the "cold iron" property, alongside The Burning Earth, Werebane, and Sword of Balduran. This property allows these weapons to damage Loup Garou, the greater werewolf form of Selaad Gan, who is invulnerable to all other weapons.
- In the Enhanced games, Kondar has an enchantment level of +3 when combating doppelgangers and lycanthropes.
Description[edit | edit source]
|“||Bastard sword +1, +3 vs. shapeshifters: 'Kondar'. At a first glance, this sword appears as much like any other. In the presence of a shapeshifters however, the blade becomes warm as its power stirs. Its namesake was the original owner of the weapon, and his tale, through mostly long forgotten, was wrought with treachery and deceit. Rumors persist that he paid a fearsome price for this blade, but with it he revealed the true identities of those that sought to betray him. Their names and crimes however, are long since lost to history.||”|