|“||Gold runs the world kid, the faster ya learn that the better life'll treat ya.||”|
Kagain is a lawful evil dwarf fighter and a potential companion in Baldur's Gate (1998)
This icon indicates content from the original Baldur's Gate campaign.Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (1999)
This icon indicates content from the original Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast campaign.Baldur's Gate:
Enhanced Edition (2012)
This icon indicates content from the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition campaign..
Recruitment[edit | edit source]
Kagain is available from Chapter One. Travel to Beregost, you will find him in his shop next door to Feldepost's Inn, ask him about the service he runs and he will hire you to accompany him to find out why one of his caravans was missing. Accept this offer and he will join.
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Entar's Son (There's a timer for this quest)
Relationships[edit | edit source]
- Kagain thinks very little of Ajantis and his do-gooding. As with every other evil character, Ajantis will eventually attack Kagain and fight him to the death, though this can be avoided either by clicking on Ajantis and redirecting him before he lands the first blow, or by having Xan in the party and allowing him to talk Ajantis down.
- Kagain thinks very little of Alora, believing she's an overtalkative idiot who's going to get herself and the rest of the group in serious trouble because of her inability to shut up. Alora, of course, thinks Kagain is a big mean old frowny-face.
- Kagain's opinion of Coran is similar to his opinion of Alora, though Coran seems to shrug it off a little more easily than she does.
- Kagain disapproves of Dynaheir's do-goodery and thinks she's a complete moron.
- Kagain really dislikes Khalid, seeing him as an "altruistic moron." Khalid, in turn, is uncomfortable around Kagain, but tries very hard to avoid any serious conflict.
- Minsc does not trust Kagain, and he and Boo both have their eye on him.
- Kagain dislikes overly-talkative people, so it should come as no surprise that he finds Quayle immensely annoying.
- Kagain finds Tiax's constant shouting grating and often tells him to shut up.
- Similarly, Xzar's constant semi-incoherent babble grates on Kagain's nerves, and he very much dislikes the wizard because of this.
- Kagain and Yeslick are like oil and water - the two just don't mix. At all. Yeslick is disturbed by Kagain's money-grubbing tendencies and wishes he wouldn't constantly put gold above both friendship and faith. Kagain thinks Yeslick is an idiot and basically the worst excuse for a dwarf ever. Yeslick's interactions with Kagain start out disapproving, but fairly gentle. He will often suggest a more virtuous course of action to Kagain. Kagain, of course, responds with insults, threats, and dismissals. After a while this grates on Yeslick's nerves and he starts showing some definite dislike of Kagain, even going so far as to say that while all dwarves are kin, he refuses to call Kagain family. Eventually Kagain gets tired of Yeslick's preaching and will try to "rip him a new arse". Literally. With his axe.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Kagain has the highest HP of any companions in game, his 20 constitution also gives him a natural regeneration (1 hp/min) which will generally allow him to regain a large amount of health when traveling between areas on the world map and whenever party rest. As a dwarf, he also has a 5 bonus to his Death, Wands and Spells saving throws due to his constitution score, making him an excellent tank character.
In spite of being evil, Kagain is a valuable, if temporary, addition to a good-aligned party, he will only leave the party if your reputation reaches 19.
In classic game versions, It is best to recruit Kagain earlier. The reason for this is that his level 6 version got very low health rolls between levels 2 and 6. Assuming maximum rolls each level it is quite possible to have Kagain with 90 health at level 6 if you pick him up at level 1. This is a huge difference compared to the 60 health he would normally have if you get his level 6 variant.
- In Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trilogy
This icon indicates content from all Enhanced Editions of the Baldur's Gate games.: companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will be given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to manually level them up to gain more control of their status.
|Average party level||Level||XP||Gold||Hit Points||Weapon Proficiencies||Equipment|
|1.00 - 1.99||1||115||9||15 (Max possible:10+5)||
|2.00 - 2.99||2||2019||14||25 (Max possible:20+10)|
|3.00 - 4.99||4||8232||31||43 (Max possible:40+20)||
|5.00+||6||33839||69||60 (Max possible:60+30)||
Biography[edit | edit source]
|“||When asked about his past, KAGAIN stresses that the questioner should just mind their own business if they want to keep their teeth. It is apparent that he runs a rather shady mercenary company and that he is quite obsessed with wealth, but any information beyond this he is content to keep to himself.||”|
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|Greetings. I am Kagain. What can I do for you?||Initial meeting|
|This isn't worth dying over.||Morale failure|
|I like it here.||Happy|
|You buncha chumps! What the hell do ya think you was doing?||Unhappy-annoyed|
|Do gooders always make me wanna vomit.||Unhappy-serious|
|That's it. This dwarf is leaving!||Unhappy-break|
|As leader, I plan to make us stinking rich.||Leader|
|Even a dwarf's got a limit to his stamina.||Tired|
|Waiting around ain't gonna make us any money.||Bored|
|For the love o' money.||Battlecry1|
|This dwarf's not feeling too good.||Hurt|
|Damn forest, always reminds me of pansy elves.||Forest|
|I like it here, where the gold grows.||Dungeon|
|I don't wanna talk.||Select1|
|Go pester someone else.||Select2|
|I need an ale.||Select3|
|The only thing better than gold... is more gold.||Action4|
|You pugs are starting to piss me off.||Action5|
|Gold runs the world, kid. Faster ya learn that, the better life will treat ya.||Action6|
|If I had a copper for every moron I've run across, I could buy Baldur's Gate!||Action7|
|You're the stupidest dwarf I've ever met! You're an embarrassment to dwarves everywhere!||Interaction1|
|Yeslick, your stupid mine is what started all this trouble.||
|Yeslick, shut your lousy mouth and get out of my face.||
|You're an imbecile, Yeslick! If you piss me off one more time, I'm gonna rip your head off.||
|Ya lousy excuse for a dwarf, I'm gonna rip you a new arse.||
|Are you some kind of a moron? What do ya think you was doing?!||Insult1|
|Ya dolt, shut yer trap before it gets you into trouble.||Insult2|
|Better them than me.||To death-general|
|Stupid dwarf was gonna die sooner or later.||To death-specific|
|You should shaddup.||To insult1|
|Keep on talking that way and I'm gonna stuff yer mouth full o' horse dung.||
|Shaddup and show me the money!||
Personality[edit | edit source]
Unlike most evil companions in Baldur's Gate, Kagain does not show any signs of psychotic behavior. Instead he is depicted as a cold-hearted and pragmatic mercenary who only cares about money and profit.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Kagain on the Forgotten Realms Wiki, a wiki for the Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting Forgotten Realms.