High-level class abilities, or High level abilities (HLAs) are epic powers gained through long time pursuit of one’s career. They were first introduced in the original Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.
HLAs are available to characters with more than 3,000,000 XP in a given class. These characters get one point to spend on their HLA pool every time they level up that class. This means that the total XP requirement to access HLAs depends on whether the character is single class, multi-class or dual-class:
- All characters get access to HLAs once their total XP reaches 3,000,000.
- Single-class characters gain access to their class's pool of HLAs.
- Multi-class characters will gain access to HLAs from each of their classes' pools, regardless of which class has leveled up. For example, Fighter/Mage/Thief will level its Fighter class from 11 to 12 when it reaches 3,000,000 XP, but upon leveling a Fighter/Mage/Thief may choose any HLA from the Fighter, Mage, or Thief pools, even though it was the Fighter class leveling.
- Multi-class characters also gain one HLA every time they level up any of their classes. This can allow them to gain many more HLAs than a single-class character. Note that some HLAs require a certain number of levels in a class, so even if a multi-class character has access to multiple pools of HLAs they still must meet HLA prerequisites, which means classes like Fighter/Mage/Thief or Fighter/Mage/Cleric can never access many HLAs a two-class multi-classed character could select.
- Dual-class characters get access to HLAs when their current active class has at least 3,000,000 XP. Unlike Mult-class characters, these HLAs may only ever be chosen from the current active class. For example, a Berserker dual-classed into Mage may only ever take Mage HLAs, unless the character first reaches 3,000,000 XP with the berserker, before dualing (though they'll only be able to ever have 1 fighter HLA if dualing at that point).
- Moreover, any HLAs that aren't tied to spellcasting (so something like Use Any Item or Whirlwind, not something like Improved Alacrity or Storm of Vengeance) remain accessible after dualing even before the dualing process is completed (or even if it may never be completed). For example, a Fighter that reaches 3,000,000 XP, picks Deathblow as its HLA and then duals into a Thief will be able to continue using Deathblow as a level 1 Thief, and when said character reaches 3,080,000 XP they'll be able to start picking Thief HLAs exclusively (so no extra Fighter HLAs).
Some HLAs are combat skills which can be selected multiple times. Characters that select the same HLA several times can use that HLA that same number of times each time they rest. Other HLAs may be picked only once.
Mastering these epic abilities is crucial for survival when battling god-like creatures that appear in the finale of the Bhaalspawn saga.
Req.: Requirements. F(20): Fighter (level 20). R: Ranger. P: Paladin. Bl: Blackguard. Mo: Monk. C: Cleric. D: Druid. Sh: Shaman. Ma:Mage. So: Sorcerer. T:Thief. Sw: Swashbuckler. Sd:Shadowdancer. Ba: Bard.
1 May only be selected once.
|Critical Strike||Power Attack||o||o||o||o||o|
|Summon Deva1||Neutral or good alignment
No Summon Fallen Deva
|Summon Fallen Deva1||Neutral or evil alignment
No Summon Deva
|Aura of Flaming Death1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o||o||o|
|Energy Blades1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o||o||o|
|Globe of Blades1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o||o||o|
|Implosion1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o||o||o|
|Mass Raise Dead1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o||o||o|
|Storm of Vengeance1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o||o||o|
|Elemental Summoning1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o||o||o|
|Greater Elemental Summoning1||Priestbook lv 7 slots, Elemental Summoning||o|
|Elemental Transformation (Fire)1||o|
|Elemental Transformation (Earth)1||o|
|Ethereal Retribution1||Priestbook lv 7 slots||o|
|Favored of the Spirits1||Spirit Form||o|
|Comet1||Wizardbook lv 9 slots||o|
|Dragon's Breath1||Wizardbook lv 9 slots||o|
|Energy Blades1||Wizardbook lv 9 slots||o|
|Improved Alacrity1||Wizardbook lv 9 slots||o|
|Summon Planetar1||Neutral or good alignment
Wizardbook lv 9 slots
No Summon Dark Planetar
|Summon Dark Planetar1||Neutral or evil alignment
Wizardbook lv 9 slots
No Summon Planetar
|Extra lv 6,7,8 wizard spell slots1||Previous slot||o|
|Set Spike Trap||o||o||o|
|Set Exploding Trap||o||o||o|
|Set Time Trap||o||o||o|
|Use Any Item1||o||o||o||o|
|Scribe Scrolls||Use Any Item||o||o||o||o|
|Enhanced Bard Song1||o|