Acquisition[edit | edit source]
- InBaldur's Gate II:
Shadows of Amn (2000)
This icon indicates content from the original Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn campaign.(SoA) and (SoA) , Cromwell in Athkatla will combine the Hammer of Thunderbolts, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Girdle of Frost Giant Strength, and Crom Faeyr Scroll for 10,000 to create the hammer.
- InThe Black Pits II:
Gladiators of Thay (2013)
This icon indicates content from the Black Pits II: Gladiators of Thay campaign in the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. , it can be obtained as a reward of the tier 3-2 battle.
Description[edit | edit source]
|“||This is the true name that the dwarven weaponsmith, Silverblade, gave to the weapon he intended to create for his son. Alas, his son died before the weapon was ever completed, but here it stands complete... forged from the combined magic of the original hammer with the gauntlets of ogre power and a girdle of frost giant strength. Crom Faeyr gifts its users with all the powers of the original Hammer of Thunderbolts, in addition to enormous strength and the ability to kill golems, ettins, and trolls in one blow.||”|
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- The strength boost applies when wielding it in main or off-hand.
- This is the first obtainable +5 melee weapon that isn't specific to one class (the first being the very restricted Carsomyr) and thus can hit demons and mages protected by Improved Mantle (such as Liches)
- The strength boost stacks with the +5 in THAC0 totalling +9 for a 19 str character (and for example +12 for Viconia).
- The weapon is more than the sum of its components, but the components can be put on different characters. Something to consider before running off to Cromwell.
On Strength bonus on weapons[edit | edit source]
There are a few weapons that enhance strength and they require some extra consideration: What happens when the weapon is no longer active, because you switch to a different one? The least obvious is to switch between melee and ranged:
- You can lose carry weight, which could make you encumbered and either slowed or unable to move. The larger the boost to your natural strength, the bigger the risk.
- You can become ineligible to use an item you are wearing, including armor and your off-hand weapon. The companion most affected by this is Viconia who will become ineligible to wear most plate armors and for example the Flail of Ages.
- While shields remain equipped when using a Sling or Dart, off-hand weapons will not.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
The weapon's required components and its ability to kill the giant-related ettins and trolls on one strike makes this hammer a reference to the Hammer of Thunderbolts, an artifact from multiple editions of Dungeons & Dragons, which was itself a discrete homage to Mjölnir, the enchanted hammer that is the signature weapon of the Nordic god Thor. As Thor canonically inhabited the Outer Planes of AD&D, , this is a fitting homage.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- In Baldur's Gate II this hammer is a one-handed weapon, but has a range of 2 ft as two-handed weapons. This is fixed in the enhanced edition.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Achievements
Legendary Relic[edit | edit source]
Construct Crom Faeyr.