Companions are playable and recruitable characters throughout the game. Some will join you quite easily with only the exchange of a few words, while others may require you to fulfill your promise of helping them pursue their goals before they come to the decision of longtime commitment. All companions have alignments, unique personalities, and perspectives, which make them either support or despise your decisions. These include: party reputations, or even other members' opinions, forcing the player to choose sides. The main character can also develop romance relationships with certain companions.
You may have up to six characters in your party, main character included. In Enhanced Editions, you may also choose to play with a fully customized party like in the Icewind Dale series, with the first character you created being your main character. Companions come with various classes and ability scores. It’s up to player's imaginations to innovate their own ideal parties.In classic versions of the games, companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will have their levels automatically adjusted based on the average party level. In Enhanced Editions, however, they’re given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to manually level, based on the protagonist current experience which grants the player more control of their status. The XP is granted on thresholds of 4K, 8k, 16k, 32k, etc. The highest XP they can have at the time of joining is 32,000
Baldur's Gate companionsEdit
Companions can be recruited at their indicated spot. Some require a quest and when failing the quest or declining to invite them, most will disappear from the game.
When you no longer require their services, most will stay at their spot, with the following exceptions:
- Neera will drink at the bar in the Friendly Arm Inn, till you come to your senses.
- Baeloth Barrityl will hide just outside the Friendly Arm Inn's walls in the south east corner of the map.
- Dorn Il-Khan will stand just inside the door in the Friendly Arm Inn. He refuses to rejoin you if your reputation is above 18.
- Rasaad yn Bashir will stand opposite the Nashkel Inn.
|Deder||Neutral||Halfling||Fighter / Thief||11||18||16||12||13||9|
|Osprey||Lawful Good||Half-elf||Cleric / Mage||16||9||13||15||10||6|
|Baeloth Barrityl||Chaotic Evil||Drow||Sorcerer||Larswood||12||14||16||19||
Early access to certain spells
|Dorn Il-Khan||Neutral Evil||Half-orc||Blackguard||Ambush when traveling to Nashkel Mines||19||16||14||10||15||16||90||Half-orc paladin combination|
|Neera||Chaotic Neutral||Half-elf||Wild Mage||Beregost||11||17||14||17||10||11||80||
|Rasaad yn Bashir||Lawful Good||Human||Sun Soul Monk||Nashkel||16||16||14||11||14||14||85||Moonlight Walkers|
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear companionsEdit
|Captain Schael Corwin||Lawful Good||Human||Archer||Coast Way Crossing||18/5||15||14||12||14||14||87.05|
|Glint Gardnersonson||Neutral Good||Gnome||Cleric / Thief||Coast Way Crossing||13||17||16||14||16||13||89|
|M'Khiin Grubdoubler||True Neutral||Goblin||Shaman||Coast Way Crossing||10||16||15||14||17||12||84||Summon Ghostly Defender|
|Voghiln the Mighty||Neutral Good||Human||Skald||Troll Claw Woods||18||16||16||14||10||15||89||Voghiln's Helmet|
|Lawful Good||Aasimar||Fighter||Avernus Roof||18/81||17||16||12||12||18||93.81|
|Imoen||Neutral Good||Human||Thief (level 7) > Mage||Sewers Exit||9||18||16||17||11||16||87||Oil of Speed x 80|
Baldur's Gate II companionsEdit
Recruitment in Shadows of Amn is more involved:
- An initial quest to recruit them and solve their immediate predicaments
- At least one follow up quest, started after some real time has passed or a map is entered. It is not uncommon for this quest to have a timer.
- In extreme cases, there are repeated disturbances and timed quests, companions running off or being abducted.
If you dismiss them after the initial quest, they will seek a place that they call home. This is different for each companion.
If you have successfully ensured their loyalty to you by completing at least the second quest, you may decide you no longer require their services and in the common case you will be given a choice: they return to the Copper Coronet or they wait right where you leave them. When in hell, those choices become unavailable due to travel complications.
- Keldorn Firecam will offer to return to the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart instead (or stay right there)
- Valygar Corthala will return to his cabin in the hills, or wait at his dismissal location.
- Jaheira will go and stand outside the Galvarey Estate in the Athkatla Docks, unless Summoned to the Harper Hold has progressed past a certain point in which case she will permanently disappear. She will never wait at her dismissal location, even if she's in hell.
- Viconia DeVir will offer to wait in the Athkatla Graveyard, or at her dismissal location.
- Jan Jansen will offer to tend to his Turnips in the slums, or wait at his dismissal location.
- Aerie will offer to return to the circus, or wait at her dismissal location.
- Mazzy Fentan will return to her house in Trademeet
- Cernd will return to the Druid Grove
|Edwin Odesseiron||Lawful Evil||Human||Conjurer||Mae'Var's Guildhall||10||10||16||18||10||10||74|
|Imoen||Neutral Good||Human||Thief (level 7) > Mage||Spellhold||9||18||16||17||11||16||87||Never leaves no matter the reputation|
|Jaheira||True Neutral||Half-elf||Fighter / Druid||Irenicus's Dungeon||15||17||17||10||14||15||88|
|Minsc||Chaotic Good||Human||Ranger||Irenicus's Dungeon||18/93||16||16||8||6||9||73.93||
|Viconia DeVir||Neutral Evil||Drow||Cleric||Government District||10||19||8||16||18||14||85|
|Yoshimo||True Neutral||Human||Bounty Hunter||Irenicus's Dungeon 2nd Floor||17||18||16||10||13||14||88||
|Sarevok Anchev||Chaotic Evil||Human||Fighter||Pocket Plane||18/100||17||18||17||10||15||95.100||
|Dorn Il-Khan||Neutral Evil||Half-orc||Blackguard||Temple District||19||16||14||10||15||16||90||Half-orc paladin combination|
|Neera||Chaotic Neutral||Half-elf||Wild Mage||Wild Forest||11||17||14||17||10||11||80||Neera's Staff|
|Rasaad yn Bashir||Lawful Good||Human||Sun Soul Monk||Trademeet||16||16||14||11||14||14||85||Moonlight Walkers|
|Hexxat||Neutral Evil||Human Vampire||Thief||20||20||14||14||12||18||98|
|Wilson||True Neutral||Grizzly Bear||Fighter||Heretic Temple||18 (up to 23)||9||18||4||4||4||57||
Powers increase with level
|Clara||Neutral Evil||Human||Thief||Copper Coronet||14||16||14||12||10||14||80||Hexxat's Amulet|
Pairs can be separated by getting one of them killed or petrified or by removing the unwanted person from the party in an area that's not planned to be revisited, then immediately leaving before dialog can be initiated.
A way to prevent unwanted behavior from initially rejecting a companion is to not reject them, but removing them from the party again in the same step; this, however, works only with a full party.
Siege of DragonspearEdit
|Corwin||Chapter Eight||Any gender, any race|
|Dorn||Chapter Nine||Any gender, any race|
|Edwin||Chapter Eight||Dynaheir, Minsc, Neera|
|Glint||Chapter Eight||Males of any race|
|Neera||Chapter Nine||Edwin||Males of any race|
|Rasaad||Chapter Eight||Females of any race|
|Safana||Prologue||Males of any race|
|Viconia||Chapter Seven||Male humans, half-elves, half-orcs and halflings|
|Voghiln||Chapter Nine||Females of any race|
Baldur's Gate IIEdit
Romances from Siege of Dragonspear will not be carried over into Shadows of Amn when importing. New romances, started and "completed" during Shadows of Amn will continue in Throne of Bhaal if the party directly gets transferred into the campaign or an imported savegame is used.
Most, but not all conflicts only happen during Shadows of Amn.
See also Edit
- Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II walkthroughs by Dan Simpson
- Baldur's Gate EE and Baldur's Gate II EE walkthroughs by Haeravon
- Siege of Dragonspear walkthrough by Enilwyn
- Mike's RPG Center
- ↑ In Throne of Bhaal. For Shadows of Amn, she will remain Evil.